Sunday, March 5, 2017

T-minus 11 hours.....

The big day is tomorrow...11 hours from now I'll be checking in at 0530.
I think I'm ready...I've made my list and checked it twice..or three or four times. ;)

Still need to finish packing for the hospital but other than that I think I'm basically ready.  Every nook and cranny of the house has been cleaned...I even cleaned inside my oven this weekend.  It just felt like there was a lot to do and not enough time, but now I'm sitting here looking for things to do.

Friday was my last day at work and my amazing  coworkers threw me an awesome party!  Since my birthday is also tomorrow, it was a combination birthday/send off.  We had tons of food and they gave me such sweet, thoughtful gifts.
My coworker made this cute cake!

In our main hallway
Each card inside has a personal note written
on it from my friends!

Yesterday, we had a little family celebration.  And today, my son and I went to church and then out to lunch.  Then, I took my son by the library to pick up a few books for him to read....he will have a lot of downtime too.  After that, it was time to head out to the hospital for my lymph node injection.

I was taken to Nuclear Medicine and had to undress from the waist up.  I wore a gown open to the front and laid down on the imaging table.  The tech marked the left shoulder with a felt marker and the word "yes"!  

The radiologist then came in, did the timeout, prepped the breast and injected the dye just under the skin near the areola.  

This was NOT as bad as I had imagined or read.  It truly was a tiny needle stick.  It DOES sting quite a bit as they push the fluid in, but it is over in about a minute.  The stinging initially felt like a bad bee sting, but then more like an ant bite.  She told me it was very similar to a TB test and she was spot on!

The Nuclear Med Tech moved my table into the machine, took one image , and then I was done.
Image taken right after the injection...the dye will be taken up into my lymphatic system
overnight so that Dr. K will be able to identify the sentinel node in the morning.

Tonight, I have to drink 24 oz of a pre-op drink then nothing after midnight.  Tomorrow morning, I have to drink another 12 oz of the same drink and take a Celebrex pill before I arrive at the hospital.  It'll be a very early morning and a long day.

Mentally, I feel ready...let's just get his done.  Although, the reality of the whole lymph node biopsy is a bit scary.  That is really my biggest concern right now....coming out of this surgery and still having cancer.

I have so many wonderful friends, family, and even strangers who are praying for me right now and it is definitely felt.

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."
Romans 12:12

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation,
by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
Philippians 4:6

I researched a lot on what to pack and what I needed to have at home.  I plan to do a post on that subject soon so that I can tell you what worked and what didn't, if I forgot anything, etc.

In the meantime, I'm going to chow down on some dinner before that NPO status kicks in!

12/22/16  Routine Screening Mammogram
01/18/17  Repeat Imaging and US of left breast; LUMP found.
01/20/17  Core Needle Biopsy
01/24/17  Biopsy results positive...Stage 0 DCIS, left breast
01/25/17  Meeting with Breast Center Navigator and Genetic Testing
01/30/17  Consultation with Surgical Oncologist, Dr. K
02/08/17  Consultation with Plastic Surgeon
02/21/17  Pre-op Visit with Dr. O's nurse
02/27/17 Pre-op Labs and Testing
03/05/17 Lymph Node Injection
03/06/17 SURGERY DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment