Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Battle Scars!

                                 WARNING:  THERE ARE GRAPHIC POST-OP PHOTOS IN THIS POST.

Just for fun and my fellow Lethal Weapon fans...



My scars aren't as exciting as Riggs' but my new ones sure come with quite a story, huh?
 4 Weeks Post-op:  This is my lymph node biopsy incision just under my left armpit.
It looked "lumpy" up until about a week ago, but now it is very smooth and flat.  I kinda like this one...
it peaks out from my tank top and bra like a badge of honor...my reminder of what God has done!
Just wanted to post an update this week to let y'all know how things went at my one month post-op appointment with my Plastic Surgeon (if you follow my page on Facebook, you already know....@bosomthing) and let you know what I've been up to:
Waiting on Dr. O to come in for
my 1 month follow-up!

It was a great visit and basically, Dr. O said that I am ahead of the curve for one month out!  He was happy with my progress and how all of the incisions look.  He was also quite pleased with the symmetry of my new breasts as the swelling has gone down.  Dr. O feels like there will not be much to do during the Phase 2 Revision surgery since they look so symmetrical now.  He will do some fat grafting, lipo, and scar revision, but we will discuss that in more detail at my next appointment.  He wants to see me in 6 weeks to get started planning and scheduling Phase 2!!


 4 Weeks Post-op:  My incisions are all pretty much healed...one small
spot under my right breast still has a scab.  I am doing twice daily massage
w/cocoa butter lotion and it really helps with the firmness in my breasts that
I feel in the evenings.  Everything is quite symmetrical on top!
Dr. O also released me to  return to week next week!  I'm ready but not ready for that one. Feeling a little nervous about the long hours and being so busy, but I spread my days out a bit so that I'm not working two shifts in a row.  I am excited to get back to see my coworkers and taking care of the babies and families.  6 weeks is a long time to be gone!


 4 Weeks Post-op:  You can tell better at this angle, that there are little
"overhangs" now on both ends of my incision.  Dr. O said this is normal and expected
as the swelling goes down, but he will remove them in Phase 2.
One of the best things....he said as long as I wore a bra, I could lay on my side! It is AWESOME!  Just to get off of my back is fantastic.  I have also been able to lower my incline and can actually lay flat this week.  

Overall, I feel good!  I am experiencing the common "shooting" nerve pains every so often across my chest.  It doesn't seem to have any real rhyme or reason, but I do think it happens more when I am tired and/or have done a lot with my arms.  Other than that and a little abdominal tenderness by bedtime, I have no complaints.  I am trying not to overdo things, but I am pretty much able to do the regular day-to-day stuff without issue. There are still a few top shelves in the house that I can't quite reach yet!  

On Saturday, I walked in my first 5K!  Yes, I walked the full 5 K exactly 1 month and 2 days post-op!  It was exhausting but so worth it.  My son walked with me and it was a really cool experience.  If you have not had the opportunity to participate in a Komen Race for the Cure event, I highly encourage you to do so.  Being surrounded by ~30,000 Fighters/Survivors/Supporters is an amazing thing!  I'm not going to pretend that I wasn't worn out afterward because I was!  Pretty much spent the rest of the day and evening chillin' on the couch, but it was a good kind of tired and I'm so glad I participated!
#pinkchampion   Komen SA Race for the Cure 2017


#pinkchampion   Komen SA Race for the Cure 2017

#pinkchampion   Komen SA Race for the Cure 2017
I walked the wh0le thing!


Since I'm headed back to work in 5 days, my parents gifted me with a cleaning crew to come deep clean the house today!  Waiting on them now and trying to resist the urge to clean house BEFORE they arrive!!  This is a sweet gift and much needed!

Anyway....that's my past week! How about y'all?




MY TIMELINE:
12/22/16  Routine Screening Mammogram
01/18/17  Repeat Imaging and US of left breast; LUMP found.
01/20/17  Core Needle Biopsy
01/24/17  Biopsy results positive...Stage 0 DCIS, left breast
01/25/17  Meeting with Breast Center Navigator and Genetic Testing
01/30/17  Consultation with Surgical Oncologist, Dr. K
02/08/17  Consultation with Plastic Surgeon
02/21/17  Pre-op Visit with Dr. O's nurse
02/27/17 Pre-op Labs and Testing
03/05/17 Lymph Node Injection
03/06/17 SURGERY DAY!
03/10/17 Home!
03/16/17 10 day Post-op Visit with Plastic Surgery nurse
03/20/17  2 week Post-op Appointment with Surgical Oncologist, Dr. K
04/07/17  1 month Post-Op w/Plastic Surgeon, Dr. O
04/16/17 Returning to work!
05/19/17  Appointment with Dr. O to schedule Phase 2 Surgery!



No comments:

Post a Comment