Tuesday, September 26, 2017

6 months Later....Surgical Oncologist Follow-up

September 06 was officially six months since my Bilateral Skin-sparing (non-nipple sparing) Mastectomy with Immediate DIEP Flap Reconstruction.  My 6 month follow-up appointment at the Surgical Oncologist's office was yesterday...at almost 7 months actually. It doesn't seem real that it has been that long ago!!  

So, here's the lowdown....

My appointment was with the Nurse Practitioner, Rebecca.  She is super sweet and a fellow breast cancer survivor.  Having personal experience with the reconstructive process and the
journey, she is an awesome resource!  

Because my cancer did not require any chemo or hormone therapy, I am not followed by a Medical Oncologist just the Surgical Oncologist.  Therefore, they will conduct all of my labs and breast exams.  Rebecca stated that I will need 6 month visits (basically a manual breast exam) for 2 years and then annual visits for 3 years....a total of 5 years surveillance. Labs will be drawn annually.  After 5 years, my annual OB/GYN breast exam will suffice.  

Big notes:  
*No mammograms ever.
*If any physician ever finds something "suspicious", I am to contact my NP immediately for an ultrasound and she will follow-up on it.


Rebecca was very complimentary of my cosmetic results.  It was nice to hear the opinion of a fellow reconstructive patient.  She said that everything looks great and that in another 6-12 months I'll be amazed at my results and how much the scars will have faded!!  Her exact quote was: "You couldn't have asked for a better cosmetic outcome!"

After my appointment, I ran some errands and made a new wreath for our front door...something special for October and Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
October Breast Cancer Awareness Wreath


Then, I got to have dinner with a bunch of old friends. We caught-up and had a lot of laughs!! Everyone needs a night out with friends once in awhile.  :)

Love these gals!

Hope y'all have a blessed week!








1 comment:

  1. This blog is really helpful to deliver updated educational affairs over internet which is really appraisable. I found one successful example of this truth through this blog. I am going to use such information now. Fat Grafting Surgery

    ReplyDelete